Sunday, April 5, 2009

Homeade Buttermilk Bread

Here is the bread recipe I used when i went on this weird "I want to be self-sufficient" trip. It is so unlike me to want to make bread, how domestic is that anywho!? But I did but I am glad because it was soooo super good. It reminded me of when my mom used to make it for us when we were growing up. The smell is absolutely incredible as it's baking.

Now I made these 2 loafs with no mixer and no bread maker...talk about skill! Haha no really that's how unprepared I was...I was lucky I had packets of yeast in my cupboard (what the crap were they doing there anyways!?) Also, I didn't proof the yeast but not having a bread maker I probably should of (didn't rise as much as it should have) and I only ended up using 4 cups of flour - all purpose...I know that's a no-no in bread making (bread flour has more protein in it to aid in rising) ...again probably why my dwarf loaves didn't rise completely...

Meh

That just goes to show anyone can really cook and not have a clue about what they should be doing.

Well this domestic episode has me coveting for a bread maker. I want it right this moment! So I guess we'll see. I should have it by the end of this week :)


Buttermilk Bread
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 5 1/2 cups bread flour

DIRECTIONS

  1. Proof yeast in warm water.
  2. Place the butter or margarine and buttermilk in a small saucepan. Heat slowly until butter or margarine has melted. Cool to lukewarm.
  3. Place sugar, salt, baking soda, buttermilk mixture, and yeast in large mixing bowl. Add 3 cups flour one cup at a time, and mix with the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer. Gradually add the remaining flour while continuing to mix. When dough is not sticky, turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead for several minutes, until the dough is soft and smooth. Place in a greased bowl, and turn once. Allow to rise until doubled in size.
  4. Punch down the dough. Divide, and shape into 2 loaves. Place in two well greased 8 x 4 inch bread pans. Allow to rise until dough has risen one inch above pans.
  5. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Loaves are done when nicely brown and hollow sounding when thumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment