OK so I am totally going to brag about how great this salad is.
I first learned of this salad at a Christmas party a couple of weeks ago from a good friend of mine.
I bugged her for the recipe and now I can't get enough of the fruity nutty salady goodness!!
So no questions asked...just make the darn salad already! Your stomach will thank you, and if you are entertaining, so will your guests! Seriously guys - it's amazingly unbelievable!!
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh...yes it DOES matter!)
- 3 tsp diced onion
- 3 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard (Grey Poupon tastes best)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 large pkg of baby spinach
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup blanched almonds or cashews
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple - peeled, cored and diced
- 1 pears - peeled, cored and diced
- In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running add oil in a slow steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix.
- In a large serving bow combine the spinach, shredded Swiss cheese, nuts, dried cranberries, cubed apple and cubed pear. Toss to mix then pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss to coat.