Friday, January 9, 2009

Seven Layer Salad

I believe this is a family recipe given to my dad from my aunt, who is fantastically talented in the kitchen. It is a very good salad and the best part about it is that you can control the fat content by using fat free mayo...or you can be like me and say "but I promise to be better tomorrow!!"...and use the full fat stuff, which is wonderful!
Its also really pretty if you use a glass bowl so you can see all of the crunchy colorful layers.

So in a large salad bowl you will layer:

Chopped romaine leaves
Diced celery
Diced red bell pepper
Diced green onion
Frozen peas
Bacon Bits
Cheese (any kind but I usually use cheddar)
Diced red onion (optional)

Like always this is a recipe in my head, so things aren't measured out...but you know what you like and how much you like...so just throw it in until it looks about right

Don't dress the salad until you are about to serve.

1 c mayo
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp garlic salt

Combine 3 ingredients together in a bowl and chill until ready to toss and serve.

1 comment:

  1. when all layers are done i spread the mayo on top (dont mix w/ salad yet) then sprinkle on garlic salt and sugar, cover with plastic.Overnight in fridge. toss right before massive consumption.

    ReplyDelete